Pack 500 News and Announcements
Pack 500 members may login to the website to see our activity/event list sign-ups!
Forgot how to? Just email the new webmaster, Gary Arensdorf, at firstname.lastname@example.org and he'll get you fixed right up ☺
Anyone Interested in Cub Scouts? Now's the Time to Join!
Simply drop by any of our Pack Meetings, any of our scheduled events, or contact any of the members listed in the left frame for information about Cub Scouting.
At the bottom of the page are our most recent Newsletters too. Feel free to browse around ☺
Sunday, March 18th, 2012 was race day for Pack 500's Annual Pinewood Derby. We had 25 racers this year, the most I've seen in my 4 years in the pack. But with a new track, updated software and hardware, the races were
quick and efficient. With the derby starting at about 2pm and finishing at 3:30pm, we ran a blistering total of 31 races...WOW!!
We would like to congratulate the winners of this year derby. The five fastest cars were:
ALL FIVE racers have qualified for the Mt. Tahoma District Championships that take place in Puyallup on April 28th!! WTG, boys!!
- 1st Place - Zachary Williamson
- 2nd Place - Matthew Helmer
- 3rd Place - Timothy Colby
- 4th Place - Joey Hunter
- 5th Place - Asher Harlan
Also to be awarded are ribbons for these creative designs, all voted on by the Cub Scouts:
- Best Paint Job - Logan Daniel
- Most Patriotic - Kyle Bell
- Most Scout-Like - Alex West
- Most Humorous - Matthew Helmer
- Favorite Design - Kellen Murray & Tyler Longtine
And these were voted on by our parent judges:
- Best Workmanship Done by a Scout - Asher Harlan
- Best Use of Imagination - Matthew Helmer
- Best Car but Not a Car - Kyle Bell
- Best of Show - Kellen Murray
- Judge's Favorite - Max Koehn
Cub Scout Resident Camp
This is the time of year to register your Cub Scout for Resident Camp. For those of you who may be new to Cub Scouting, Resident Camp is an overnight camping experience where boys participate in fun activities some of which earn them belt loops or fulfill requirements for their respective rank. Parents need not be present for your son to attend Camp however another Adult or Cub Scout Leader must agree to be responsible him. Check with your Den Leader or Cub Master regarding adults/leaders who have registered for camp. There are three area councils which host Resident Camps for Cub Scout at one of their respective area Council Camps. Here are links to the Flyers/Registration Forms from the Councils:
Committee Members Needed
Pack 500 needs some parent volunteers to keep Pack 500 the best and most active Pack on the plateau! As most of you know, a Pack is run under the supervision of the Pack Committee, but without a Pack Committee, the Pack cannot function.
At this time of the year, we ask for parents to step up to fill some committee positions that will be vacated when our current Webelos 2's parents cross over to Boy Scouts. This takes place in February, so we need some parents to fill these positions right away so their knowledge can be transferred. Most positions will only take an hour or so a month of your time and but will greatly affect how well the Pack functions. Click here for a more detailed description, but note that those descriptions go waaaay beyond what we do or even what's required. So please don't let that discourage any interest you might have. Feel free to sit in on a committee meeting to get a hands-on feel on how the committee functions.
- Public Relations Chair - This is another position that we’ve never had filled, but would be a great position for a “people” person ☺. I envision this role in assisting the committee with planning our service projects, promoting the pack in our local newspapers, and circulate recruiting fliers twice a year to our local elementary schools. Even take over the writing of this newsletter, if that’s something that appeals to him/her . You’ll find this role, as well as the other positions, very rewarding, knowing you’re contributing something good to your own sons scouting experience and to the rest of the pack.
- Assistant Cubmaster - This is our most needed position at this time. The parent in this role will basically shadow our current Cubmaster, Ray Gach (that’s me ) for the next 11 months to learn the “ins and outs” of eventually being the Cubmaster. My “official” term will end on December 31st, 2012 but I will continue to be active in the Pack until the 2013 Blue & Gold Banquet in February of 2013, where I and my two sons will bridge into Troop 422. I want to make the transition as smoothly as possible so please volunteer and help this Pack continue its tradition of excellence. All that’s required is to shadow me and see what I do and help out when you can ☺. I have all the contacts, correspondence, and calendar dates for everything the Pack done since my boys were Tigers. I would be placing this info on a CD to help the new Assistant Cubmaster get her or his feet wet ☺.
You'll find all of these roles very rewarding, knowing you're contributing something good to your own son(s) scouting experience and to the rest of the pack.
Activity Volunteers Needed
- April 28th - Rain Gutter Regatta - Need some parents to assist with the setup of the track.
- May 5th and May 12th - Food Drive - Need a parent to plan the neighborhood maps for donation requests and the delivery of the donations.
- July 14th thru 16th - Summer Weekend Day Camp - Mr. Gary Arensdorf needs some additional parents to assist with the planning and running for our day camp.
- August 11th thru 12th - Kanasket-Palmer Family Camping - Need a parent to organize the event.
- August 24th thru 26th - Backpacking to Sheep Lake - Need a parent to organize the event...or find an alternate hike if there's still too much snow .
- Date TBD - Mountains to Sounds Greenway Trust - Need a parent to arrange a service project with them.
Remember, this are all very small investments compared to the dividends you and your sons will receive...and of course, the more you invest, the more you'll all receive in return. So think about volunteeering!! ☺